Wednesday, August 15, 2012

First Day of School - August 15

SIXTH GRADE

Hello! We were off to a great start in 6th grade math today. We spent most of the time going over rules and procedures, but the class was able to spend a few minutes working on a math problem together. Tomorrow we will be getting down to business with some more math work! The only assignment is to get the homework policy signed and returned by Friday. Be sure to read the policy thoroughly and let me know if you have any questions. You can email me at: b s w i c k e y AT s c b c s DOT o r g. (Obviously no spaces and symbols for the AT and DOT.) I check my email frequently and am always happy to answer questions. See you all tomorrow for another great class!

SEVENTH GRADE

Our 7th grade may be a small group, but they are so lovely and I am looking forward to a terrific year with them! We spent most of our day today going over class rules and procedures. Each student also set some goals for the school year and we discussed our class motto: "Be yourself. Everyone else is taken." 7th graders sometimes struggle with who they are and having confidence in themselves so we spend a lot of time talking about being the very best YOU and not trying to be anyone else. 

We didn't have time for a lot of curriculum today, but each student did make a list of as many countries as they could name. I was very pleased to see so many countries listed! I think the Olympics helped with that. We will do this again at the end of the year and hopefully, they will have a much better understanding of the world and what is a country, versus a continent, city, or state.

The only homework is to have the homework policy signed and returned by Friday.

See you tomorrow for another great day!

EIGHTH GRADE

I did not see either 8th grade group today as each teacher kept their homeroom class until lunchtime. Both of my 8th grade classes are before lunch. I will see them tomorrow! I'm sure it's going to be a great year with them again. 

See you all tomorrow!

Mrs. Swickey