Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Wednesday, October 5th

Sixth Grade

Today, we reviewed how to turn improper fractions into mixed numbers and then how to add fractions with like denominators with both reducing and changing into mixed numbers. Here are some examples:



My Mimio Pad needs to be charged so I can't do anymore pictures! I'm sorry!

Remember that when you add two fractions, you are only adding the tops. The bottom stays the same. So after adding, if the top is bigger than the bottom, then you need to change it into a mixed number. Do that by "dividing bottom into top". How many times it goes in becomes your new whole number. The left OVER, is your new numerator. (It's left OVER so you put it OVER in the fraction.) The denominator stays the same. In the above example, I started with 12 over 5. Then I divided 5 into 12. It went in 2 whole times...that's my new whole number. I had 2 left over so put a 2 over the 5. Remember, the denominator will always stay the same!

So, after you do that, if your fraction can be reduced....be sure to reduce it!

Seventh Grade

Math - Today's assignment is to do the top part of the sheet I sent home. It's mental math multiplying or dividing with powers and multiples of 10. I shouldn't see ANY work since you are doing it all mentally! You do not have to do the bottom half yet.

Geography - We finished watching the Lewis and Clark video today and the class turned in the questions over the video.

Eighth Grade

Pre-Algebra: Finish graphing the Bike Weights and Jump Heights.

Algebra I: Literal Equations. My Mimio Pad needs to be charged and the cord is at school! I can't give you examples, but I found this website with examples on how to solve in formulas as well as how to solve for "y". The examples for solving for "y" can be found on the second page. Scroll to the bottom and hit "next". I hope it's a useful site! The pages you want are the first two links: Purple Math

See you tomorrow!
Mrs. Swickey