Wednesday, August 18, 2010

First Day of School!

The first day of school was great! I think we are off to a terrific start in all classes.

6th Grade

Today, 6th grade came to math class. The Literature and Spelling class will be on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, so we will start both of those subjects next Monday. We spent our time in math class going over procedures and how I expect things to be done. I know some things are familiar and others are new. I sent home a parent letter so please read through that and let me know if you have any questions! I will be sending home a homework policy tomorrow. You will need to sign and return it by Friday. The students then took a timed addition facts test. There is no homework! This will not happen too often as we will start working through the lessons tomorrow. Again, feel free to email me if you have any questions. My email is in the right sidebar.

7th Grade

We had a terrific day in 7th grade! I was so glad to see 20 familiar faces. Since we do not have any new students, the day went very smoothly. We spent much of our time going over procedures for the classroom, organizing supplies, and discussing the various classes. We attended Mass this morning and the 7th graders met their 1st grade buddies for the first time! It went very well and our new principal, Mr. Gungoll, praised the class on their behavior and how good they were with the 1st graders. We are going to expand the meaning of the buddies this year and will be doing little things for them throughout the year. Mrs. Politte and I are very excited about this!

The students have no homework for me other than decorating their MiniMath booklets. These are going to be used in math as a way to take notes. For each lesson, the students will take notes on a page in the booklet. This will be another resource for the students to use when they are trying to figure out the problems in the lesson. Every 15 lessons, they will turn in the MiniMath and receive a grade for it! Then, they will start a new MiniMath. I think it'll be a great way to help them learn to take notes in math as well as increase their understanding of the concepts.
I passed out the homework policy and would like you to review, sign, and return the bottom slip of the form by Friday. Please let me know if you have any questions! My email is in the right side bar as well as on the homework policy.

8th Grade

It was great to see everyone again! I can't believe you are in 8th grade this year. It seems like just yesterday we were having the first day of 6th grade! Wow. We spent our class period today going over the class procedures and how the split class will work. I sent home a pretty detailed handout about Pre-Algebra and Algebra I. Parents, please read through it and let me know if you have any questions. I feel good about how things are going to work and I can tell the class is committed to 8th grade math being a success! I will be sending home the homework policy tomorrow. Please review, sign, and return by Friday. As always, you can email me with any questions. My email is in the right sidebar!

See you tomorrow!
Mrs. Swickey