Monday, November 30, 2015

SIXTH GRADE

Today's assignment is the handout about outliers and their effect on the mean. An outlier is a number in a data set that is much smaller or much larger than the other numbers. In other words, it's the number that doesn't belong with the rest. It's different. For example, given the following data set:

25, 28, 24, 8, 23, 27

8 is the outlier because it is the number that is different from the others. Sometimes the outlier can be larger.

I can find the mean of the 6 numbers above (including the outlier) by adding and dividing by 6. The sum of the numbers is 135 and divided by 6 is 22.5, so with the outlier, the mean is 22.5.

If I took the outlier out, then the sum of the other 5 numbers would be 127. If I divide 127 by 5 (not 6, since I took a number out), I get 25.4

You can see, including the outlier, the mean is smaller. So a small outlier will bring the mean down. The same works for an outlier that is much larger. It will raise the mean.

SEVENTH GRADE

You are changing scientific notation to standard form and standard form to scientific notation. Please email me if you need help!

SEVENTH GRADE PRE-ALGEBRA

Your assignment is #1-8 on the page in your book on graphing inequalities. I don't have the page number handy. It is in chapter 6.

EIGHTH GRADE PRE-ALGEBRA

Your homework is the worksheet converting fractions to repeating decimals and then to percents and rounding the repeating decimals.

ALGEBRA I

Your homework is to do #51-58 ALL on page 214.

See you tomorrow!

Mrs. Swickey